Frequently Asked Questions
1. Should I contact potential faculty hosts before applying? May a potential host write one of my reference letters?
Applicants are highly encouraged to reach out to potential faculty hosts as soon as possible. Yes, a potential host may--but is not required--to write a letter in support of your application.
2. I got my PhD in January 2019. Am I eligible for a Stanford Science Fellowship? Has eligibility been extended due to COVID-19?
Applicants must have been granted their doctoral degree within three years of their fellowship start date. As the earliest possible start date is July 1, 2022, an applicant receiving their PhD before July 1, 2019, is ineligible. The eligibility criteria have not been altered by COVID-19.
3. My PhD is in Engineering. Am I eligible?
Maybe. Applied research projects are unsuitable for this fellowship. However, projects which repurpose tools to further basic research in the natural sciences are welcomed.
4. Is a Stanford Science Fellowship portable? May I work at another institution while holding a Stanford Science Fellowship?
Stanford Science Fellows will be appointed as postdoctoral scholars at Stanford. Fellows are expected to participate in the program's community-building and professional development activities on campus. Stanford Science Fellows may collaborate with lab personnel at other institutions, but their primary appointments must be at Stanford.
5. Are current Stanford postdocs eligible?
Yes, current Stanford postdocs are eligible so long as they meet the program criteria.
6. I am a citizen of the Philippines and got my doctorate in South Africa. Am I eligible? If I am accepted into the program, will Stanford assist me in obtaining an appropriate visa?
Yes, international scholars are eligible to apply. And yes, Stanford provides information about and assistance with obtaining and maintaining legal status in the U.S. for international scholars and their families.
7. May I apply to the program a second time if I am not successful at first?
Yes, you may apply as long as you continue to meet the eligibility criteria in effect at the time of application.
8. Will I receive feedback on my application?
No, application evaluations are not maintained nor collected.
9. May I email application materials to you instead of, or in addition to, uploading them onto Academic Jobs Online?
No, we do not have the capacity to evaluate applications outside of Academic Jobs Online. Neither can we upload application materials for you.
10. I have thoroughly read the Stanford Science Fellows web pages and these FAQs, and I still have a question. What should I do?
Further inquiries may be directed to email@example.com.